Ranus Ho & Eisha Chanan
Tiktok is popular social media platform used by many across the world. While it is fun to use, there are many dangers online that require platform governance to prevent cyber dangers and allow for a safe online environment.
Tiktok’s Community Guidelines
Tiktok has a set of community guidelines in place for its users to follow:
- Remove violative content from the platform that breaks our rules
- Age-restrict mature content so it is only viewed by adults (18 years and older)
- Maintain For You feed (FYF) eligibility standards to help ensure any content that may be promoted by our recommendation system is appropriate for a broad audience
- Empower our community with information, tools, and resources
These guidelines are in use on the platform, however, some users may overlook these guidelines, hence the use of platform governance is required amongst the Tiktok community to moderate and regulate content.
Real World Examples
- Tiktok cyberbullying – platform governance required to combat this ongoing issue
- Influencer backlash – platform governance tools, e.g. muting/restricting comments
- Awareness of racism – platform governance, ‘cancel culture’
TikTok |. (n.d.). TikTok. https://www.tiktok.com/community-guidelines/en/
Rao, K. (2022, December 1). Amber Mezner TikTok bullying scandal explained amid online backlash. Sportskeeda. https://www.sportskeeda.com/pop-culture/amber-mezner-tiktok-bullying-scandal-explained-amid-online-backlash
Cheong, C., & Leighton, M. (2023, July 20). Inside the meteoric rise of Mikayla Nogueira, the TikTok mega-influencer whose reputation for authenticity may soon come crashing down. Insider. https://www.insider.com/mikayla-nogueira-background-controversy-feud-mascara-2023-1
Stacey, M. (2023, September 13). ‘I would have kicked that guy out’ | IU student faces backlash for viral TikTok tirade against Palestinian neighbor. 13WTHR. https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local/iu-student-faces-backlash-for-claim-that-palestinian-neighbor-wants-to-kill-her-in-tiktok-racism-social-media-viral/531-b0eac875-cd32-4cdc-839a-bf2f1116d325
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial 4.0 International.